May 15, 2012

LESSology Challenge #14: Creative inspiration of Linda Lapotka


Photobucket

Hello there friends! Working hard on your projects for LESSology Challenge #14: Birds of a feather? How about another creative inspiration from design team member Linda Lapotka?



Linda Lapotka


Hi Everyone! What a great time of year for this wonderful challenge. I love to watch the birds and Wrens are my favorite. Every year I make a new house and spend the summer watching and listing to these entertaining little birds. It is so much fun watching for the new occupants.  Wrens have the prettiest song and they are very hard little workers.
I created a bird house out of a bird house gourd that I grew last summer.  
Here is my creation. Most of which was created by Nature.



I don't paint my birdhouse gourds because I like the way they look after they have been scrubbed.  I let nature do the painting. I love the marble effect that is created by the mold that covers it as it dries. I like to think the birds like it more natural but they would build a nest anywhere.

Here is the video of what I do to make a Wren house. 


                    


I read that the male chooses several nesting cavities and places a few small twigs in each. Female inspects each, chooses one, and finishes the nest building. She will completely fill the nest cavity with uniformly small twigs, then line a small depression at the back of the cavity with pine needles and grass. This is a funny process to watch because sometime they can't get the twig throughout the hole. They try many times in different directions and approaches until they are successful. 

They did pick my birdhouse.




I hope you will join us this month for LESSology's Challenge #14: Birds of a Feather.

7 comments:

Shahrul Niza said...

Hi Linda. It's so fun that they chose your bird house :)) Cool creation!

Lynnda said...

How cool this is !!!.... Bird gourd....!!! Its spectacular...!!! Thanks for video... 1st time for me ... Really cool Linda... you rock!... hugs...xoxo

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Linda is AMAZING!! I just loveeeeeeeeeee this!!

~amy~ said...

WOW...this is awesome!

Lalo said...

Just watched the video because I was so loving this project and I have to say that it was just darling!!! Such an awesome idea and so sweet to watch!!!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

That is the coolest thing, I bet the bird loves it as much as I do! : )

Mynn xx said...

I've always wanted to make one of these!!! Thanks for the instructional movie--and I'm so glad the birds like their new house! :) Fabulous!!!